Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Starting a new South African chapter!

Hello all!
After following my dad's daily photo blog for over a year now, I find myself in a new city with so much to explore and learn. Unlike my dad, who's reporting on a city he's known for decades, I'm hoping that by setting up a daily photo blog of my own, I'll be able to take advantage of a great opportunity to get out and figure out what Johannesburg, South Africa is all about! As an American expat here, there's so much that I've been finding exciting, curious and utterly foreign, so I welcome all thoughts, comments, reactions and of course - explanations!



I picked this photo as a starting point not only because to me it says 'road to the unknown,' but also because it shows one of the most common sights on the South African roadways - the minibus taxi. These vans carry around 60% of the country's commuters, mainly from the poorer classes. While many motorists complain of their blatant disregard for traffic rules and their tendency to overload their vehicles, they provide a more affordable alternative to car ownership, improving mobility (and opportunity) for many. 

9 comments:

  1. Hey, Susie, welcome to the City Daily Photo group of bloggers. Your first post and your first photo are outstanding. I look forward to seeing more from you. Did you get your photographic talent from your father?

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that early morning or early evening? If morning, what are you doing in the sticks that early?! Oh, nice pic too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to following your blog and seeing your photos! I've always wanted to visit Johannesburg and I think this will be the next best thing! Love your first shot!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susie, welcome to CDP, what a brilliant photo to start you off, it's just so typically African. I was saying to your Dad, I grew up in Africa and am really looking forward to seeing how things are now, I feel they will be very different from my time there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sky! I'm putting you on my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings, Susie! You've got a wonderful start here. I think your dad was right about your photography skills. I shall become a follower but there wasn't any place to sign up.

    Best wishes to you. This is a superb first photo for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came over from your Dad's blog, which I visit every day. Welcome to our little virtual community. One of the best trips I've ever taken was to South Africa (twice!), and I loved it each time. Will you be living there now on a permanent basis? I'm eager to see that lovely country again through your eyes! Loved each city that I visited and I went to many as a teacher on a summer Fulbright the first time and then my school gave me a trip there for my retirement present. What a gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome, Susie! Your dad has made many friends through his blog and I am excited to travel with you to South Africa in your new journey. I would say that whether you learned from your father or elsewhere, your photos are promising and this first is delightful!

    You will learn much about your new environment through your blog as you ask questions and research the background behind the shots.

    Best to you on this adventure!
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susie

    I am definitely going to follow your blog! I cannot be there myself and this is such a wonderful fresh way to experience SA through your eyes and thoughts. - lovely picture - it makes me home sick!!

    Best of luck and happiness in your new world
    Susan

    ReplyDelete